So now that the dust has settled on the “New” iPad lets reflect on just what they have added to the tablet and what I wish they would have put in there.
They basically added three new things 1) A better display, 2) Faster wireless internet, and 3) A better camera.
1) A better display – The display on the iPad 2 is pretty damn good. I didn’t realize I needed something better. Sure this new display is “Stunning!” but not getting me excited enough to trade in my iPad 2.
2) Faster wireless internet – My current iPad 2 can access Verizon’s network but I have only turned it on one time for one month. It’s expensive. With what I am already paying Verizon for my iPhone I am not eager to send more money their way every month. So I just use my iPad when I can get WiFi. Which is most of the time. If I need to get the internet when no wifi is available I use my iPhone. Again, this feature is not enough to get me to toss my iPad 2 in a landfill quite yet.
The secret to iPad printing
3) A better camera – I thought the camera on my iPad 2 was doing the job. I don’t plan to shoot and edit movies on my iPad. basically I just use it for the occasional Skype chat and pictures for this blog.
Also… When I bought my iPad I bought an extra year of warranty coverage which will keep my iPad safe until April of 2013. Why should I buy a new iPad and throw this away? Now if Apple would apply my unused warranty to a new iPad maybe they could get my interest.
TOP SECRET - iPad with a bigger screen
So… As you can see I am not easy to please when it comes to updating expensive hardware like an iPad. I use windows based laptop and desktop computers and only upgrade those when a new significant operating system is released. So far I have no plan to upgrade that hardware when Windows 8 is released. More on that in a later post.
What would get me to upgrade my iPad?
Here are five things that would get me excited about upgrading my iPad.
1) A slot for swappable SD memory chips – With cheap SD memory out there this would be a great way to store movies, music and more so that I don’t need to eat up the iPads meager memory.
How about an iPad App to get you out of this?
2) Use the Wireless Internet from my iPhone – Why make me buy more wireless service from Verizon. Let my iPad “talk” to my iPad and use the wireless internet living there. I know they can do this.
3) A USB port – A working USB port or two could open up a world of possibilities. Thing of all the things we could hook into the iPad. It’s scary!
4) Finger print security – Include a hardware finger print (or DNA) reader so when I press the on button it knows it’s me and give me access. For how many times I pick up and use this thing every day, typing four digits to get access is a pain.
5) Waterproof to 200 feet – This would make the iPad useful for scuba divers and people who want to laze around the pool and not worry about water damage.
I know I have asked for a lot here. What’s on your “New” “New” iPad wish list for next year’s release?